Sunday, January 20, 2008

I'm not waving, but blogging!

Yikes, this is a bit scary. For years I've been trying to get stuff published and now I have the world at my mercy, but what the hell do I say? Is this how it is for all blog virgins?

First, let me fill you in on the guide dog situation.

There, that was easy. I don't have one. Nor do I know when I will be getting one. I am, however, a high priority case, having recently lost my last dog to cancer back in October when he was just three years old.

Being without a guide dog is both a traumatic and liberating experience.

3 things I miss about having a guide dog

  • They are so much more sociable than white sticks - they attract people rather than making their ankles bleed (generally speaking).
  • They are fantastically good at what they are trained to do. My last dog, Ellis, once saved me from walking straight in front of a bus - honest - I still have the stains to prove it.
  • They are great family pets.

3 things I don't miss about having a guide dog

  • Picking up doggy doo-doos.
  • I have the use of my left arm back. Although, admittedly, my right arm is now generally taken up with holding a white stick.
  • I do feel a little more independent. This is a bit weird, because a guide dog is supposed to increase your independence...which it does, but you are still dependent on a dog.

Anyway, the advantages definitely outweigh the drawbacks, so each time the phone rings I'm eagerly hoping that it is news of my new dog. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments: