Monday, January 18, 2010

What goes around comes around

Generally speaking, I am not a believer in fate. I like to think that we are ruled only by a swirling cloud of chaos and mishap. However, every now and again events conspire to make me wonder if there isn’t someone up there having a good laugh. One such event happened to me at the end of last year and, before I go any further, I must apologise for once again returning to toilet humour for my post. I’ll lose interest in the topic when I grow up.

Anyway, my cautionary tale actually starts some eight years earlier on my first day working for my current employer. As is my won’t, I decided to try out the facilities. Of course, my induction documentation said nothing about the dodgy lock on the gents’, which was a single toilet affair, opening onto a corridor. So you can imagine my surprise when I was sat there in my glory and the door opened and thankfully closed again fairly quickly with a few mumbled apologies. Of course, the misery did not end there. As the toilet was several feet from the door, I had to shuffle along pretty sharpish before anyone else decided to pay a visit. That was one mistake, possibly the only mistake, that I did not make again during those eight years.

Fast forward to my very last day in the same office, prior to a move to a brand new building. Mind no doubt full of reminiscences, I wandered along to pay a final visit to the same offending lav, still with the dodgy lock. Of course, it wasn’t until he said something that I realised the seat was already taken. Thank goodness I didn’t have my ipod in.

Now, that sort of symmetry doesn’t happen by accident does it? What’s more bizarre is that it could easily have been the same guy on both occasions. I’ll never know, thank goodness.

No comments: